The Nordic operator benchmark celebrates its 5th year
In an international comparison, operators in the Nordic countries stand out – most often positively. The customers of the operators also stand out when it comes to usage, behaviours and expectation of quality:
- Very high smartphone penetration (up to 80%)
- World’s highest data-only penetration (up to 20%)
- World’s highest mobile data usage (up to 8 GB per SIM & month)
- Very high postpaid share of base (up to 90%)
- World-class network quality
- Very high 4G population coverage (up to 99%)
- Network sharing in 3 of 4 countries
Fixed & cable
- Very high fiber (FTTB/H) homepass (up to 50%)
- Medium cable TV homepass (40-65%)
- Developed streaming and mobility habits
- No use of Wi-Fi homespots
- No true converged fixed/mobile offers – in some cases just extra mobile data if combining
When a Nordic operator wants to improve further, there’s little guidance available from outside of the Nordics region
In 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, tefficient has therefore run a Nordics-specific benchmark open solely to operators in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark. In 2017, it runs again:
In contrast to other benchmarks, it is 100% fact based without modifications done to actual operator data.
Our benchmark reflects reality, not a theoretical model
An operator can, depending on business scope, focus or budget, participate in one, two or three of the benchmarks: Mobile, fixed/cable and/or the integrated benchmark.
- Mobile benchmark: >600 KPIs
- Fixed/cable benchmark: >600 KPIs
- Integrated benchmark: >600 KPIs
All three benchmarks cover revenue, OPEX, CAPEX, headcount productivity, subscribers & channels, performance, traffic & load, quality and innovation & growth for 41 functions
Based on customer feedback, a number of additions and refinements will be done in 2017:
- Further granularity in Customer service & telesales OPEX: Call center OPEX separated out from telesales, billing/activations etc.
- Further granularity in Marketing & sales OPEX: Advertsing spend separated out
- Further granularity in mobile revenue: M2M/IoT revenue separated out
- New mobile Networks OPEX KPIs: Based on total mobile data throughput (not just volume)
- New fixed Networks KPIs: Based on connectable FTTH, DOCSIS 3.1 and G.fast premises
If you’re among the 15 operators, please contact tefficient for an introduction.